Healthy Reptiles

For Happy Healthy Reptiles

PETsMART

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Gut Loading Crickets, Mealworms, and Roaches



I know we all try our hardest to give our reptiles the healthiest insects. But this can be a challenge. Simply dusting the feeder insects is not enough. When researching the health benefits of certain vegetables for my bearded dragons I found several vegetables that are full of vitamins and minerals, but I can never get my bearded dragons to touch them.

So the dilemma is how to get all those nutrients into our reptiles. One way I've found is through the proper gut loading of my feeder crickets, meal worms, and roaches.
It can get expensive to buy vegetables just to feed to your insects. We feed our feeder insects our family fruit and vegetable scraps. We feed them the peels, skins, or cores. We just bought a juicer and started feeding the insects the left over pulp. You would be amazed to see how much of the pulp they will consume. We now feel confident that our reptiles are getting the best nutrition possible.